Thursday, August 27, 2015

Broccoli Paratha


Broccoli Paratha

There are generic parathas and then there is this paratha - Broccoli Paratha! This is totally a fusion dish. I mean, in India, people have just begun using broccoli since the last few years..at-least the people I know, including me. In fact I first time used broccoli when I moved to US two years ago. I like the taste of it. So far I had only used it in pastas, soups and salads. You can check them here - Pink SpaghettiRoasted Cauliflower and Broccoli Soup and Sesame flavored grilled tofu & veggies.




I keep doing mystery box challenge with myself. My mystery box is my fridge. In my weekly grocery shopping, I pick up some random fruit and vegetable only to figure out later what I would make out of it. Hence when today I noticed a broccoli lying quietly in there, my mind started to think of various possibilities with it. That is when it struck me, why not make a stuffed paratha using it. Since I wanted to make it flavorful, I added potatoes and green peas to the filling. Sharing the recipe with all of you. Hope you like it.

Makes 7 parathas.

Ingredients
For the Filling
1 broccoli
2 boiled potatoes
1 cup boiled green peas
1 onion
3-4 green chillies
4-5 garlic cloves
Half inch ginger
2 tsp Homemade garam masala
1 tsp dhania jeera powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp sev
Salt

For the paratha dough
2 cups wheat flour
2 tbsp oats flour
2 tbsp flax seed powder
1 tbsp chilly powder
Salt and water as required
1 tbsp oil

2 tbsp Ghee to make the paratha.

Method
To make the dough
I use this food processor. I love it. The dough becomes very soft and it is super easy to knead. 
You can find it here - Cuisinart DLC-2011CHB Prep 11 Plus 11-Cup Food Processor, Brushed Stainless.
Add the flour, salt, oats flour, flax seed powder and chilly powder.


Knead into a soft dough by adding water slowly.


Rest the dough for 15 - 20 minutes.

To make the filling
In the same food processor, pulse the broccoli florets to small pieces.


Shred the onion, garlic, green chillies and ginger together.


Mash the potatoes and green peas together.


In a pan, heat the oil. Temper the mustard and cumin seeds.


Add and fry the onion mixture for 2-3 minutes.


Add the broccoli and mix well.


Cook it covered for 3-4 minutes, till the broccoli is well cooked.


Add the spices - turmeric powder, garam masala, dhania jeera powder and salt.


Fry for another minute. Take it off the heat.


In a mixing bowl, add this mixture once its little cool, add the mashed potato mixture, cilantro and sev. Mix it all up.


Shape them into medium sized balls.


To make the stuffed paratha
Make small balls of the dough.


With a rolling pin, flatten the balls to make a small circle, using dry flour.


Place 1 spoon of the broccoli mixture in the center.


Close the paratha.


Sprinkle dry flour over it and again roll it to a circle using the rolling pin. Be careful to not press harder else the filling will come out.


Heat the skillet/tava. Place this uncooked paratha on it. Smear some ghee over it and cook it both sides.


This is how it will look.


Serve it hot with some sauce or Roasted Garlic and Tomato Raita or Minty Cucumber Raita. I served it with Fusion Gravy.
Since broccoli is one o the low calorie vegetable, rich in minerals, fiber, vitamins and anti-oxidants, it makes this dish even more healthy and nutritious. It being delicious is an added bonus.


No comments:

Post a Comment