Saturday, June 27, 2015

Dal and Puffed rice wadas


Dal and Puffed rice wadas

We had invited few friends with their visiting family over for dinner yesterday. Since they love South Indian food, I decided to include at-least one item in the menu from my hometown. While I was looking out for some authentic recipes online, my friend's mom made this dish and shared the pic with me on whats app. I was hooked onto it immediately. I made up my mind to add this to my menu and I was not disappointed at all. It was an instant hit. They loved it and took the recipe from me as well. :) It had the South Indian flavor to it which they devoured upon.
It's said that recipes are meant to be shared, specially the ones made by mom. So cheers to all moms out there who are an inspiration for all of us. We exist because you exist. This post is dedicated to my friend's mom. Thank you aunty. :)



Please follow me on Facebook
Confessions of a Foodie

Ingredients
2 cups chana dal
2 cups puffed rice/poha
1 large onion fine chopped
3-4 green chillies, minced
half bunch cilantro
half inch ginger, minced
Curry leaves (optional)
salt to taste
Oil for frying

Method
Wash and soak chana dal for 30 minutes. Wash the puffed rice and keep it moist for 30 minutes. Coarsely grind the chana dal with very little water. In a bowl, add the chana dal, onions, ginger, green chillies, curry leaves if using, salt and cilantro. Squeeze out any excess water in the puffed rice and add to the bowl. Mix and knead well. Shape them as you like and deep fry them in hot oil. Refer pic below which is taken before frying.


You can try frying them in an appe pan as well. This time I wanted to deep fry them not worrying about calories. :) Serve them hot with green chutney. 

No comments:

Post a Comment