Monday, June 15, 2015

Strawberry & Oats Ice cream


Strawberry & Oats Ice cream

Oats are turning out to be my favorite! I am still discovering different ways to use them in a  recipe. They can fit anywhere. Be it dosa batter, smoothies, paratha dough, cutlets or any gravy dish. Recently I experimented a sweet dish with them and I was impressed with the outcome. They blend in so easily. Though they don't really have any flavor (according to me), I know they are very very healthy. Glad that my husband who has a sweet tooth now can enjoy guilt free desserts if made with healthier options.
Sunday being a lazy day, we were chilling at home. He asked me if there was something sweet to eat after lunch today. That got me wondering. There were some Diamonds (My name given to Kaju Katri) in the fridge, which I didn't want him to gorge on. I also had some strawberries. I have made strawberry smoothie before using oats but he was not in mood to have a drink. So I thought of making it into a frozen dessert. This recipe needs all basic ingredients that can be easily found in your kitchen. Its like a quick fix if you have some sudden visitors or a mid morning snack or something healthy for a girls night out!
Due to the curd and milk used in the recipe, this contains protein and fiber from oats.



Ingredients
10 - 12 fresh Strawberries, finely chopped
2 cups oats
1 1/2 cup fat free milk
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
1-2 tbsp strawberry/mixed fruit jam
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Strawberries and biscuit crumbs for topping

Method:
In a mixing bowl, add all of the above ingredients and mix well. Cover the bowl and refrigerate it for at least an hour. Before serving, decorate it with strawberries and/or biscuit crumbs.
You can eat it cold as it or or warm it for 30 - 40 seconds in the microwave before eating.
If refrigerated, you can store it for 2-3 days. Enjoy!!




No comments:

Post a Comment