Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Moong Dal snack - Microwave recipe



Moong Dal snack - Microwave recipe


One of my favorite snack to munch on while watching TV or on a picnic is Haldiram's Fried Moong Dal. I just love the taste of it. One can easily say that I am addicted o them and it is one of my comfort food. :)
Whenever we go on a trip, KR (my better half) makes it a point to add this to our snack list. He knows me too well. They act as my 'between meal fillers'. I am not very particular about the brand though. It never really occurred to me that I could actually make this at home until I saw a lady (Sandhya Ramakrishnan)post this recipe on her blog - My Cooking journey. I immediately bookmarked it to try for later. So today on the occasion of crossing 200 likes on my Facebook page, I decided to treat myself with some fried moong dal! It is a fairly simple and easy to follow recipe with very few ingredients. This is made in the microwave. After having this home made snack, I am never going to pick up this Haldiram snack from the store ever!!



Follow me on Facebok
Confessions of a Foodie

Ingredients
1 cup moong dal
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp turmeric powder
salt as per taste
1 tsp chilly powder (optional)
2 tsp oil

Method
Soak moong dal with baking soda for at least 30 minutes. I kept it for 3 hours. Drain the water and dry the dal over a kitchen towel. It is very important to dry the dal as much as possible. Pat the dal with a kitchen towel to dry it well. I left it open for 30 minutes.


Place the dried dal in a microwave safe flat dish (I used a glass dish). Add oil and mix it well. Microwave it on high for 8-10 minutes.Keep checking after every minute. If lumps are being formed, then break and mix them. The moong dal will get crunchy after 8 minutes. (Continue cooking it in the microwave till they get crispy. Every microwave is different) That is when add salt and turmeric powder. Add chilly powder now if you want to. Mix well.
Store in airtight container. Enjoy this guilt free snack anytime of the day. I am so loving these munchies! :)


You can follow me on Facebook to get regular recipe updates - https://www.facebook.com/confessionsofafoodielaksh?fref=ts


No comments:

Post a Comment