Monday, July 13, 2015

Lettuce Sauce/Chutney


Lettuce Sauce/Chutney

I was making Beetroot Chillas and I wanted to smear some green chutney/sauce over it when I do the filling. However just to my luck I had ran out of cilantro. As I was rummaging my fridge, I found a box of left over lettuce which I had got for my Eggplant burger recipe. ( The link to that is here by the way - http://priyalaksh.blogspot.com/2015/07/veggie-burger-with-chickpea-and.html ) The cilantro lime hummus I had along with the burger was over as well, else I would have used it instead. However looking at the lettuce, an idea struck me. Why not make a chutney put of lettuce this time!
It feels nice to try different chutneys/sauces so that we are not always limited to using cilantro. Since lettuce has no distinct flavor, I thought of giving it a desi chutney twist to it. :)
Hope you try this out sometime and let me know how it was!



Follow me on Facebook
Confessions of a Foodie

Ingredients
1 bunch of Lettuce leaves
1 small ball of tamarind
Salt
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp chana dal
2 tsp peanuts
2 tsp sesame seeds
1 tbsp of roasted chana dal/daliya
2 green chillies
2-3 dried red chillies
2 tsp dhania/cilantro seeds
Cilantro/1 tbsp green chutney (Optional)
oil

Method
Wash the lettuce leaves very well. In a pan, add tsp oil, the washed lettuce leaves, salt and turmeric powder. Mix it.


Once half cooked, add the ball of tamarind and cook for few minutes.


 The tamarind will melt and the lettuce will further reduce in size. Take the pan off the burner and let this mixture cool.

In another pan, add 1 tsp oil and fry all the other remaining ingredients till they turn golden. Let this mixture cool as well.


Grind the lettuce mixture along with this to a smooth paste. As an option, you can add cilantro at this point before grinding to add more flavor to the sauce/chutney. Since I didn't have any cilantro, I add little green chutney.
This sauce is very flavorful because of the ingredients in it. Am loving it!


No comments:

Post a Comment