Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Green Peas and Sweet Corn Soup



Green Peas and Sweet Corn Soup

Continuing with my of soup saga, I made one more! You must have read my other soup recipes here - Roasted Cauliflower and Broccoli Soup , Edamame and Spinach Soup and Tomato and Red Pepper Soup. This time I tried another green soup. I always like to combine two or more veggies together to get more flavors and nutrition out of the soups. Adding garlic and herbs also help enhance the taste.




This soup is rich and creamy. I added some extra pepper powder to make it more hot. It is a perfect meal when you are homesick and need something warm to remind you of your mom. Soups have a very comforting effect on me at-least. It reminds me my mom's hot rasam. Weirdly I cant never get the rasam right. So I started making soups to compensate. Thankfully, healthier versions of soups are good to keep the weight in check. So I have started to include a soup in my weekly meal plan. Of all the soups I have made so far, this one is my favorite since I love green peas and corn. No prior preparation needed, no chopping to be done, its ready in minutes - what else can one ask for?

Ingredients
2 cups frozen/fresh green peas
1 cup frozen/fresh sweet corn
1/4 cup fat free milk
2 cloves of garlic
1 onion
2 tbsp of chopped herbs - thyme and chives
2 tbsp of cilantro
Salt and pepper for seasoning
Water

Method
In a pan, add the green peas, corn, onion chunks and garlic along with 4 cups of water. Bring it to a boil.


Add the herbs and salt midway. Cover the pan and let it boil for 15 - 20 minutes. Allow the mixture to cool. Once its cool, grind it to a smooth paste. Reserve a handful of peas and corn for garnish.


Pour the mixture back into the cooking pan. Add the milk and pepper powder. Check and add salt if needed.


Mix it all well and bring it to a boil. Garnish with cilantro.


If the soup is little runny, then just mix 1 tbsp of any flour with little water and add to the soup. This will thicken it. Sprinkle the reserved peas and corn over the soup. Serve it hot with some breads.


You will love the taste of this soup, I have a soupy feeling about it! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment