Monday, August 24, 2015

Fusion Gravy


Fusion Gravy

This is really a fusion dish. I mean, it has something from every cuisine. The black beans which are widely used in American foods, the hummus which is Mediterranean, pasta sauce from Italy and Indian spices! This is one of my creations and I am very satisfied with the result.




The reason for this creation - a very practical one - had to empty my fridge since we leaving for a vacation soon. I was little skeptical before actually trying it out. In my head, I was pondering over the outcome. I knew I could not get it that wrong because the pasta sauce has tomatoes and garlic which are the base of most gravies. Adding the hummus will give the gravy a rich and creamy effect. Since it contained beetroot, carrots, chickpeas and spices it will surely add to the flavors of the dish. Once I was convinced in my head, I went ahead to make it! :)

Ingredients
2 cups boiled black beans
1/2 cup red sauce used in pasta
1/2 cup carrot & beetroot hummus (recipe link shared below)
2 tbsp chole masala
1 tbsp dhania jeera powder
Salt as required
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp oil


Method
In a pan, heat the oil, temper the mustard and cumin seeds. Add the pasta sauce and cook it for 2-3 minutes.


Now add the Carrot and Beetroot Hummus along with 1 cup water.


Mix it well. The gravy will be rich and creamy. It will also have a bright and natural red color to it. Cook it for 3-4 minutes.  Now add the chole masala and dhania jeera powder. Mix it well and cook it for another minute.


It's time to add the black beans and cilantro. Mix it lightly and cook it for 2 minutes.


Remember to check salt before adding, because the hummus, pasta sauce and the beans will have some amount of salt in it. Serve this with brown bread/roti/naan. All the flavors blend  in very well of the sauce and hummus. The chole masala gives it an Indian touch. This red gravy dish has no artificial color in it. The beets from the hummus give it the natural rich color.


No comments:

Post a Comment