Monday, August 10, 2015

Instant Jalebi


Instant Jalebi

Yippee!! This is my 100th POST on my blog and I am excited. I have to take this moment to thank my family and friends who have stood by me, supported me and encouraged me to do more. The common question I hear from anyone is, "So what did you cook today?" My family and close friends get to see the picture of my latest dish even before it gets on the blog or social media, thanks to Whats app. My MIL tells me that she loves to browse through the pictures I send on the family group. It really feels very overwhelming to get so much love from all. THANK YOU!




As a small reciprocation from my end, I chose to make something sweet to mark this occasion. I made something which I never thought I could make, I have eaten Jalebi all my life but never thought I would land up making this to mark my 100th post on my food blog. Just the other day I made Gulab Jamun Pops and I had some left over batter as I had ran out of gulab jamuns. So I wanted to make something else out of it. Hence I decided to try Jalebi - just like that!

Ingredients
1 cup maida/all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
Pinch of orange food color
Oil for frying

For the sugar syrup
1/4 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp lime juice

Method
To prepare the sugar syrup, add the water and sugar in a pan. Bring it to a boil. Add the lime juice to help prevent crystallization of sugar.


Keep stirring and once it reaches the 1 thread consistency, it is done. Keep the syrup warm not hot.
To make the Jalebi, whisk the maida, baking powder, milk, water and food color. The batter should not be very thin or very thick. It should have a flowing consistency.


Heat the oil for frying. It should be on medium. Take a squeeze container like this one and fill it up with the batter. Plastic Squeeze Condiment Bottles with Red Tip Cap 16-ounce Set of 6

Begin to make swirls in the oil and cook it till they change to an orange color.


Take them out on a tissue paper to soak the excess oil. Dip them in the sugar syrup and let them rest in it for a minute.


Take them out and serve them hot or cold.


Though I am not entirely satisfied with the shape of the Jalebi, It still is my first attempt and is my 100th post. So I am still happy with it. They taste good. My husband doesn't want to share it with anyone but him. So I guess it is a win win situation for me today! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment