Thursday, July 30, 2015

Hummus made from Almond Pulp



Hummus made from Almond Pulp

I am still gorging on this delicious Homemade Organic Almond Milk that I made yesterday. I mean really, look at this..who can resist this? It's mildly flavored and nutritious. It is a very good alternative for those who have an allergy for dairy or soy products.




Making Almond milk at home has one another benefit as well. We get the almond pulp derived from straining the milk. This pulp is rich in fiber and protein. You can check the nutrition value of almond pulp here - Almond Pulp Nutrition
If you have used 1 cup of almonds to make the milk, you will get 1/2 cup of almond pulp. Since I used 2 cups of almonds, I got 1 cup of almond pulp.


 I wanted to reuse this pulp and not just throw it away. There are many recipes online which sight some innovative ways of using this pulp. However I was particularly interested in making hummus with it. I am aware of the basic hummus recipe so I wanted to incorporate adding the pulp to it and see how it turns out.


Since I didn't have Tahini sauce available at home that moment, I chose to use Sabra Hummus (store bought) to make this dip. Yes, I love Hummus and it's always on my weekly grocery shopping list. I enjoy it with a whole wheat pita bread. I have been wanting to make hummus at home so this was the right opportunity to do so!

Ingredients
1 cup Almond pulp
4 tbsp lemon juice
2 cloves of garlic
4 tbsp ready-made hummus/raw tahini
1 tsp dhania jeera powder
2 tsp chilly flakes
Few chives for garnish
Pinch of Salt and Pepper
1 -2 tbsp Water



Method

In a food processor, mince the garlic first, then add all of the above ingredients except the almond pulp and salt.


Pulse it all together to form a smooth paste. Add 1 tbsp water if you feel the need. Now slowly add the almond pulp and pulse it. Form a smooth paste consistency.


Almond Hummus is now ready. Check the salt, add if required.


Enjoy this with whole wheat/multi grain pita bread or some healthy chips. This is what I enjoyed the hummus with..and no I am not advertising this product.


You have to believe me at this, this hummus is so much better than the store bought ones. It has got a nutty flavor to it plus with all the nutrients in it, it just makes it irresistible!


Before serving, you can add some chopped chives and pepper flakes as garnish.











No comments:

Post a Comment