Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Lima Beans in Spinach gravy


Lima Beans in Spinach gravy

Few days ago, I tried Lima beans for the first time at a party. It was one of the ingredients in the Biryani. This is how I discovered this tasty legume. Google told me that its is also known as Butter Beans because of its starchy yet buttery texture. I decided to give it a try. My friend suggested a desi version to cook them & I decided to give that a twist in my own way! This is what I got.. :)


I took:
400 gms of Lima Beans (soaked overnight & boiled with salt, turmeric powder & dry kasoori methi)
2 tomatoes made into a puree adding sesame seeds
1 large onion, 4 garlic cloves, 1/2 inch ginger & 5 green chillies ground to a paste
1 cup Spinach puree ( can add cashew nuts while making the puree if you want a richer gravy)
Oil for tempering 
Dry masala for flavor

Method:
In a pan, add 1 tbsp oil, temper cumin & mustard seeds. Add the onion paste. Let it cook for 2 mins. Add the tomato puree & continue cooking till the raw smell goes away. Now add the spinach puree. Mix & cook well. Now add all the dry masala like turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander-cumin powder, salt, garam masala & cook for 3-4 mins. Once the gravy is cooked, add the boiled lima beans. Mix well. Cook it for few more mins. Now sprinkle kasoori methi on top & serve hot with rice or roti.

My husband & I had this for dinner today & both of us were very pleased with the result. Do try it!


No comments:

Post a Comment