Thursday, August 14, 2014

Semolina Mango Halwa


 Semolina Mango Halwa

A friend of mine is travelling to Alaska on a pleasure trip. I would love to go there sometime soon. Anyways this post is not about Alaska or my travel diaries, its about how I landed up making this halwa. 
Actually before leaving she emptied her fridge & gave me a Mango to use. I left it on the kitchen rack to ripe for a few days. Today I thought it was ready to use. I searched for recipes online on what all I could possibly make with 1 mango. I am a sucker for the Indian Alphonso however we don't get the same ones here. So I was very keen to see how this one tastes as I have never tried them before. Anyways coming back to the sweet dish, I finally found a recipe online which suited me as I had all the required ingredients at home. I however tweed the recipe to suit our palate. Here is what I did..


                                                                          






  • Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup Semolina (Rawa)
  • 1/2 cup Sugar
  • 2/3 cup Water
  • 1 cup Milk
  • 1/2 cup Mango pulp
  • Few strands of Saffron
  • 2 tsp milk masala (powder of all dry fruits)
  • 2 tbsp Ghee
  • Almonds for decoration

  • Method:
  • Roast the semolina dry for few mins till you see it turning light golden brown. Be careful to not burn them.
  • In a pan, add water & sugar. Bring it to a boil. Add saffron & milk masala in the milk & pour it in the sugar water. Bring this mixture to a boil. Once it starts to boil, add the roasted semolina slowly & mix it quickly. Ensure no lumps are formed. Keep stirring. Now add the mango pulp & mix well. Add ghee to give it a silky texture. Your dish is ready. Serve it hot or cold in a bowl. Decorate with little saffron & chopped almonds on top. 

  • As we had this for dessert today, we realized that this mango was not as sweet as an Alphonso, however this dish was mildly sweet (which is how we like it) & light to have. You could add more sugar if you think your mango is not very sweet & if you have a sweet tooth! Enjoy.. :)





  • No comments:

    Post a Comment