Thursday, March 6, 2014

Brown Rice Pulao



Brown Rice Pulao

Being South Indians, me & my husband are a sucker for rice. It really is our weakness & specially when you are trying to shed those extra pounds off, eating rice doesn't help. So what do we do? Look for alternatives obviously. Meet Mr. Brown rice who initially I was very skeptical to even try! My husband said, "why not, lets give it a shot" & we landed up buying it from Walmart. It was stocked in my kitchen for more than a month now. I still had not made up my mind to try it. Finally yesterday I just thought - "What the hell, I will make it anyways, If it turns out well, then its our dinner, else my husband will have to finish it off! :)
So I decided to not take any chances & make it with all the spices & veggies to pep it up.



This is how I went about making it:
2 cups of rice, boil it in your rice cooker with 2 & 1/2 cup water. Add 1 bay leaf, 1 tsp oregano flakes, little salt while cooking
In a non stick vessel, add 1 tbsp olive oil, add 1 tsp mustard & cumin seeds for tempering. In that, add 1/4th cup minced garlic & ginger. Add one cup chopped tomatoes, cook till oil separates. Add 1 cup chopped potatoes & let it cook. Add a pinch of salt to this. Once they are cooked, add a bowl full of veggies (anything you can think of). I added carrots, peas, beans, & cauliflower. Cook them for few mins. Add seasonings like chilly powder, turmeric powder, pav bhaji masala, chole masala powder, coriander & cumin powder & salt. Mix well. Garnish with chopped cilantro on top.


Trust me, this really tasted very good. I would love to try this again maybe with a variation next time. So me & my husband relished this for dinner yesterday. Hope you try it too & let me know how it turned out. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment