Thursday, September 24, 2015

Multigrain Crepe (contains Chia seeds, Flax seeds, Oats, Brown rice and lentils)



Multigrain Crepe (contains Chia seeds, Flax seeds, Oats, Brown rice and Lentils)

I am reinventing Adai as Multigrain Crepes. Adai is traditionally a fermented crepe using lentils and rice. Originating from the south of India, this crepe is different from dosa as it has more lentils in it and is thicker. Conventionally it is enjoyed with some jaggery however I prefer to eat it with the Idli Chutney powder/Gunpowder and sesame oil. This makes for a great breakfast or lunch/dinner option.



My memory of enjoying Adai goes back to my childhood where we relished this dish as part of our weekend meals. My mum would start making them and it was my responsibility to serve it to my dad and bro one by one. Let me tell you here that these crepes are addictive though very filling. You do not realize how many you have actually eaten till you can't even get up from the chair! Now I empathize with my mom as it is pretty time consuming to make these crepes in large quantities. So the more number of people the more crepes you land up making. Phew!


Like I mentioned earlier, Adai is mainly made with lentils and rice. This time however I decided to give the traditional Adai a healthy twist. I had recently purchased Chia seeds from Whole Foods and had been wanting to use it in my recipes. It was just perfect that I chose to use it in this one among other healthy ingredients. Though this doesnt impact the authentic taste of Adai, it just makes it more nutritious and a wholesome meal.

Ingredients
1 cup Chana Dal (Bengal Gram)
1 cup Urad Dal (Skinned split black lentils)
1/2 cup Moong Dal (Split yellow lentils)
1 cup Brown rice
1/4 cup Oats flour
1/4 cup Flax seed powder
3 tbsp Chia seeds
7-8 dried Red chillies
1 tsp Asafoetida (Hing)
1 large Onion, finely chopped
1 cup chopped Cilantro
Salt
Water as needed
Oil as needed

Method
Take a big vessel and soak the chana dal, urad dal, moong dal and brown rice in water overnight or for 10-12 hours. Drain out the water and this is how it would look.


Grind these along with the red chillies, salt and asafoetida to a coarse paste by adding water as required.


The batter should not be very runny or thick. Add the chia seeds, oats flour and flax seed powder. Mix it all well.


Now add the chopped onions and cilantro. Check salt and consistence, add if required.


The batter is ready. This need not be fermented and you can make the crepes immediately.


Heat a flat skillet (the one used to make pancakes/dosa). Add a dollop of the batter over it and spread it to make a thick circle.


Pour little oil around it and let it cook evenly for few minutes. Flip it and cook the other side as well.


Serve them hot with any Carrot & Peanut ChutneyLettuce ChutneyTomato Almond Chutney/Sauce/Gunpowder.

No comments:

Post a Comment