Monday, March 9, 2015

Cabbage and Onion Pakoda in Appe Pan


Cabbage and Onion Pakoda in Appe Pan

When you need to make some starters for a large group,appe pan comes to the rescue. It is really so much simpler and healthier than deep frying. I love this miracle pan. :) There are numerous recipes floating in the cyber world using this pan. I decided to give the traditional medu vada a twist. My mom used to add onions to the medu wada batter sometimes, so I took my inspiration for her. Plus I can never get the shape right so the appe pan kind off makes it look good ;)
I made around 60 wadas so my measurements below are according to that.



Ingredients:
3 cups of urad dal soaked for 3-4 hours
8-10 green chillies
2 dried red chillies
2 cups of Curry leaves & cilantro
2 large onions, finely grated
2 large cups of shredded cabbage and carrots
Half inch minced ginger
Salt to taste

Method:
Grind the urad dal, chillies, ginger and cuury leaves with salt to a thick wada batter consistency. In a mixing bowl, add the batter, onions, cabbage and cilantro. Mix well. It should be a thick batter. Check salt. Refrigerate it for 30 minutes. There are many Appe pans available, I have this one because this comes with a lid. Helps in cooking. You can get it here - TABAKH Bright AppamPatra Paniyaram Non Stick Pan with Stainless Steel Lid In appe pan, add 1 tsp oil in each. Add a spoon full in each and cook covered. Before turning to the other side, add 1 tsp oil. Once flipped, cover it again. Let them cook. Now the wadas are ready. Serve with tomato ketchup or any chutney.


No comments:

Post a Comment