Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Brown Rice Mushroom Pulav & Egg Curry


Brown Rice Mushroom Pulav & Egg Curry

My hubby loves egg curry and has always asked me to make it for him, however I was not very confident that I could pull it off. I kept postponing this, much to the dismay of my husband. I knew he secretly hoped that I would surprise him one fine day. Well today was that one fine day! :)
While browsing through the internet for healthier vegetarian meal options which is high in protein as well, I stumbled upon mushroom biryani. My mind started working overtime on how to turn this recipe into a healthy one. I decided to use brown rice instead of white, I added more veggies and cooked it in just 1 tbsp of oil. Now I wanted to make some accompaniment to go with this and that is when it hit me - Egg curry! It was like now or never, I had to make it today. Specially when one is trying to loose weight, eat healthy, you really want to eat something tasty as well to keep you motivated. I immediately called up my friend in India and asked her to share their family recipe for making egg curry. I tweaked it a little depending on the spices available with me.


For Brown rice mushroom pulav
I took:
2 cups brown rice
1 large onion, 4 cloves of garlic, cilantro made into a thick paste (can add ginger too if you want)
2 tomatoes made into a puree
Half cup of chopped carrots, spinach, mushrooms,capsicum and green peas
1 egg
Seasonings like turmeric powder, chilly powder, garam masala and cilantro
Cumin seeds for tempering

Method:
Cook brown rice in 4 and a half cup of water along with 1 bay leaf. In a non stick pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil, add cumin seeds for tempering, then add the onion paste and cook well for 2-3 minutes. At home we are not a great fan of adding dry fruits in pulav, but if you like you can add some roasted cashew and almonds at this point. Now add the tomato puree. Cook on low flame for few minutes. Now add all the seasonings, salt and veggies. Mix well and cook till the veggies are tender. Beat 1 egg in a bowl and add it to the pan. Let it scramble while the veggies cook. Now add the cooked rice and mix well. Sprinkle chopped cilantro on top. Your rice is ready.




For Egg curry
I took:
3 boiled eggs
1 egg
1 onions finely chopped
1 tomato finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 finely chopped green chillies
5 tbsp of Greek yogurt
Seasonings like turmeric powder, chilly powder, garam masala, dhania jeera powder, kasoori methi and cilantro

Method:
Boil 3 eggs, peel and cut in halves. Keep it aside for now.
In a non stick pan, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil, temper with cumin seeds. Add garlic, green chillies and onions. Saute them till they turn golden brown. Now add the tomatoes and salt and cook till it becomes pulpy.
In a bowl, add yogurt, chilly powder, garam masala and dhania jeera powder. Whisk it all together. Add this to the tomato mixture. Mix it well. Add crushed kasoori methi and half cup water. Adjust salt as required. Bring to a boil. Now add the eggs and sprinkle cilantro on top.


Enjoy this combination :)



No comments:

Post a Comment